Being Late…

Posted by keayo on Aug 22, 2009 in Naija |
In the bathroom at 11 getting ready for a party that started at 9

In the bathroom at 11 getting ready for a party that started at 9

Nigerian people love to find out exactly what time an event starts so they can be a minimum of 5 hours late. This is the buffer time that must be set when planning an event. If your graduation party starts at 4pm on the flyer, make sure the DJ and MC are there by at least 6 because it’s understood that people will be there around or after 9pm. No matter what you DON’T have going on, if you are Nigerian, plan on being as late as possible to fit the breed you belong to.

Can you imagine? My own wedding begins at 2pm, 4pm na de time wey I dey shower, 5pm na hair appointment.

Graduation Party started two hours ago. Please take note at demographic that has arrived.

Party finally getting started.

Party finally getting started.

Tags: , , , ,

Kingsley Oparaeke
Aug 23, 2009 at 12:00 am

Hilarious.

rena Reply:

kingsley are u the same kingsley i know in dallas, texas? iam james girlfriend rena in louisiana.

Odochi
Aug 23, 2009 at 8:23 am

Quite ridiculous isn’t it? My people are funny, but cut us some slack. My experience has been a 2 hour minimum, lol.

Lulu
Aug 23, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Agreed. Oh god, I’m afraid to even get married because I can already see it being ruined by all my relatives showing up AFTER the reception…

Victoria E Reply:

I agree. Shoot…I’m so accustomed to African time that I will probably be late to my own wedding.

Yemi Reply:

I went to a wedding that was supposed to start at 2. I got there before the bride, who arrived at 2.30. Wedding started at 3. It finally got full at 4.30

Chuma Reply:

My uncle set it up perfectly, telling us and all the Nigerian relatives that the wedding stared at 12pm noon. So we get there relatively early around 3:30pm, but the church is pretty much empty except for some white ppl who were told the wedding started at 4:30…..

Everybody shows up about 5PM, and everything goes as scheduled

Nick
Aug 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm

The lateness associated with Nigerians is over exaggerated. It is mainly two or three hours, not five to six as expressed. However, Nigerians should buckle up and be time conscious.

Nonye Reply:

Actually,the minimum “late time” for naija people is 5 hours or more

Karen O.
Aug 23, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Many people try to compare “Nigerian Time” to “CP Time” [Colored People Time]…doing that is like comparing the Dodge Nitro to the Hummer H1.

Kim
Aug 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Lol! too true. I already like this site.

Nonye
Aug 23, 2009 at 4:58 pm

My people (Nigerians) are great in a lot of things, but the lateness is getting to be really bad and they need to change the habit, Me included

crystal
Aug 23, 2009 at 9:14 pm

HAHAHA! sooo true my friend. why do they do that?? i hate it hah

t a
Aug 25, 2009 at 7:19 pm

ive come to accept and (almost) appreciate this fact of life

SELE BORHA
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm

DARKYS ALWAYS ON TIME

Bessie
Aug 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm

“Nigerian people love to find out exactly what time an event starts so they can be a minimum of 5 hours late.”

“7:00p.m.” …party started two hours ago…” LOL, this was too funny.

Desiree
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:59 am

hahaha! oh my gosh.. why are some of you angry that the writer stated 5 hours? abeg tel me.. what is the difference between 5 hours and 3 hours.. we are not talking of minutes here o! we are talking about HOURS!!!! LOL… LWKM.. Naija is what it is… but i aint switchn countries for nuthing, cos i love naija all day everyday.. feel me?

John Doe
Aug 27, 2009 at 6:13 am

Hilarious, I can attest to this as a Nigerian. But I think all black people have this issue. I think this is just an inherited trait that we are born with!

Chidi
Aug 27, 2009 at 9:46 am

Oops sorry Im late on this comment I really like this site. It seems like a movement. I want to thank the creators of Stuffnigerianpeoplelike for giving me something I can read and relate to! Thanks SNPL!

Kobi
Aug 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm

What can we say, we are a culture sensitive society and not a time sensitive society.

Maggie
Aug 27, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Hey..This applies to my fellow Mexican people too!!! And then we get the call to bring a bag of ice before we get there.

Kobi
Aug 27, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Ha ha…sooo true, Maggie.

Uche
Aug 27, 2009 at 1:07 pm

LMAO!! This is hilarious, but sadly VERY true!!

O-b-i
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:36 pm

LMAO….good job creating the site. like the pics of the graduation party.
hilarious.

UgoBabe1 of Ala Ngwa Nmara Nma
Aug 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm

buhahahaaahaaa @the 7pm picture which says check out the demographic that has arrived….

[…] The ‘Ghana Must Go’ is used to carry many things like clothing, stock fish, goat meat, shoes, kitchenware, leaflets,  DJ supplies, car parts, illegally imported spices and whatever else you can fit in there. Go to any international airport, you will probably see a section of Nigerians quickly emptying out their Ghana Must Go because they have exceeded the fifty pound weight limit. (If only they had been on time, they would have had time to carefully seperate their things in a logi…) […]

Obinna
Aug 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Lol, this stuff is hilarious.. and very true..

Uzor
Sep 1, 2009 at 9:56 pm

THIS IS SO TRUE, lol.

Rosie
Sep 3, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I tell my co-workers that it is rude to show up to a Nigerian event early. Just plain rude. Dem look me with wide mouth.

em-tee
Sep 6, 2009 at 8:23 am

Y’all have no idea!!! Current thg now is to send an IV saying smthg like this – “Time: 5pm for 6.” Meaning- time na 5pm sha but we know say as naija ppl, una go show 6o’clock. Some ppl still get there at 8 and scream as how they havent got any food. Gotta love Nigeria.

lee lee
Sep 6, 2009 at 10:23 am

After a couple of “late arrivals” to important events by some of my friends, I got hip to it, so I learned to improvise, if there is an event that starts at 7pm, I just lie and tell them it starts at 2pm.. that way they will be close to comming on time 😉

Kola
Sep 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm

LATE COMMERS. Late to school, late to leave….
I have some stories to share concerning the issue of BEING LATE.
You see when we were in Primary school, we used to be known for being at least 2 hours late for school and we used to be known for been the only guys left standing after others have left. schoo.

You see, our Dad has this habit of talk on the phone and waisting precious time talking to so called friends, while other parents have dropped their children off to school.

As a result, we end up comming an hour after school assemble. To make matters worst, the teachers will now turn all their frustation and have us clean the school compund and cut the grass. In the worst case scenario, this teachers will personally beat us insult us, and add more punishment.

When school is over in the afternoon, be ready to stay atleast 2 hours. God forbid if there was child molester or a kidnapper in the neigborhood, I won’t be where i am today .You see our Dad has this habit of forgetting that he actaully has children. He is either away from town or at the same friends house….But, we end up going home, whenever Dad decides it time.

Me at School

I no go forget primary school days…

keayo Reply:

LOL, hilarious. You about a month LATE on commenting on this post but keep them stories coming.

Chidi Reply:

LOLOLOL… can someone please click on the link to Kola above? That pic deserves a spot somewhere on this website!!!

P.A.
Sep 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm

LOL, he actually looked at the camera, Chidi….stuffnigerianpeoplelike: TAKING PICTURES AND NOT LOOKING AT THE CAMERA THAT IS TAKING THE PICTURE!!!

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:42 am

too funny

Ike
Feb 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm

This is a condensed version of the Nigerian constitution.
Even in death, unlike other cultures that bury their dead in a manner of days, some families wait months to bury their dead.

Ike

Lois Otiocha
Aug 25, 2010 at 12:56 am

-omg its funny kos i have been sayeng this for years. it has gotten to the point that i go to sleep,,wake up at 12:oo am to get ready for a party. i have heard of fashionably late but us nigerians take it to a new level. lmao.

Ernest
Dec 7, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Xmas fever is here again,,Lol Guyz don’t fight with you girl friends okay

Copyright © 2017 Stuff Nigerian People Like All rights reserved. Theme by Keayo. 51334342 hits since 8/27/09 5 p.m.