Ghana Must Go

Posted by keayo on Aug 31, 2009 in Naija |
FUN FOR ALL AGES!

FUN FOR ALL AGES!

Though you may have never heard the name, if you grew up in a Nigerian household you have seen one. Every culture has its signature bag. Some cultures make songs about their “duffle bags”, some cultures wear their “fanny packs” proudly around their waist and as Nigerians, we must show pride in our ‘Ghana Must Go(s)’.

Post your funniest comments about what you think may be in these bags, biko.

Post your funniest comments on what you think may be in these bags, biko.

At first sight, you are led to believe this bag is very weak with its wrinkled exterior making it look like a multi-colored paper bag with a zipper and two loop handles. Please don’t let the appearance fool you, if need be, this bag can hold a child and his dog for miles. With a name like ‘Ghana Must Go’ history must be attached to this cheap bag made of woven plastic.

The history of the bag starts back in 1983, when millions of Ghanaians refugees were forced to flee Nigeria due to political pressures. In a rush to pack their things, they resorted to what we now call the ‘Ghana Must Go’. While these events were unfortunate, they lead to a revolution in Nigerian luggage and this craze spread quickly. People started using it to carry their ‘Okrika’ to set up shop at markets. Nigerians packed their whole life into these huge, durable bags until the signature white zipper will no longer zip in order to travel and start their new lives in America or Great Britain.

Now I've seen everything. If Louis Vuitton is making these bags, that means someone paid AT LEAST 200,000 Niara on it.

Now I've seen everything. If Louis Vuitton is making these bags, that means someone paid AT LEAST ₦200,000 for it.

The ‘Ghana Must Go’ is used to carry many things like clothing, stock fish, goat meat, shoes, kitchenware, leaflets,  DJ supplies, car parts, illegally imported spices and whatever else you can fit in there. Go to any international airport, you will probably see a section of Nigerians quickly emptying out their Ghana Must Go because they have exceeded the fifty pound weight limit. (If only they had been on time, they would have had time to carefully seperate their things in a logical manner.)

Tags: , , , , ,

Dalia
Aug 31, 2009 at 1:21 am

Those Ghana must go bags are good o! The bags last for years! My mom still has one that has lasted for 25 years!

Ezichi
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:26 am

Nice post. Thanks for sharing!

Nneka
Aug 31, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Marc Jacobs came out with a line of bags that looked like this in like 2006. I almost died. The thought of socialites carrying bags made for carrying stockfish and gari. LMAO

Kim
Aug 31, 2009 at 1:38 pm

LOL @ the last paragraph “Some of u naija people dey hold ur noses to this post talking, say ‘my parents not fit carry this kind tacky bag, nah only Louis Vuitton and Gucci dem dey use for luggage’. If this nah the case, go check for ur parents basement and attic, u go surely find one hidden way in the back. Who knows wetin go dey inside am?”

P.A.
Aug 31, 2009 at 9:23 pm

1. I’m so mad that is Chinwendu in the first picture lol
2. The whole world could explode tomorrow and these bags, along with roaches, would be the last things standing….they are durable as hell!
3. I can attest to the international airport scenario…I was at Bush International Airport in February getting ready to go to Nigeria and I kid you not, this lady in line in front of me had a Louis Vuitton carry-on bag, suitcase (ballin’), AND THE NERVE TO HAVE A GHANA-MUST-GO BAG TOO….

Lulu
Sep 1, 2009 at 11:46 am

LMAO omg I have 389473 of these XD They’re the staple bag. My mom went to Nigeria and came back with a shitload of stuff all packed in 3 of these bags. She just kept pulling stuff out and I was like “wtf did you bring and how did customs let you through?” Awesome article ;p

Karen
Sep 2, 2009 at 1:57 am

“…just throw it in the bag”

Amy
Sep 2, 2009 at 11:08 am

ahahahaha!!! Yes, those bags are durable as heck! My grandmother is in the states and has about 4 of those bags propped up against the wall filled with stuff. Good post!

Abi Agbabiaka
Sep 3, 2009 at 9:12 am

You know what, it’s interesting, these bags are actually cute and can become a fashion statement. The colors and patterns can be used as a neutral palette for tote bags and smaller hand purses for females. Nigerians can patent the “Ghana Must Go” look and who knows, it could become an international phenomenon appearing in prominent fashion magazines such as Vogue, Vanity Fair and Elle…….Since I just gave out an extremely innovative fashion idea, let’s see who’ll be the first to make some good money off of it.

FYI – Does LV “really” now make GMG bags?

Keayo Reply:

yes, the LV version was released in 2007.

Jai
Sep 3, 2009 at 9:20 am

this one made me spit out water and LOL!!! My gramma used these to take a million pounds of laundry to the laundry mat when we were kids. She even had one of those metal roller carts that you can stack them on, strap them down, and push several Ghana Must Go’s at a time. didn’t know their origin..that just makes them funnier.

Rosie
Sep 3, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Long live Ghana must go! Two years ago on my way home from Naija…this Irish dude came to me saying he was surprised a fine babe like me was using GMG. I tell am make e go siddon.

IJ
Sep 4, 2009 at 10:52 am

Hilarious…Ghana must go is def a staple in any Nigerian household….wether it was used to “pack” things such as gari, rice, and pounded yam from there trip to Nigeria back 2 America, or to store things in d garage they still exist!!

Amy O.
Sep 8, 2009 at 3:09 pm

lol at calling out pA’s baby sister like that in the first pic!! oh well looks like she has been taught well, stuffing that bag full so they can go on their family vaca to naija!

a.eye
Sep 8, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I also saw these in a high fashion runway show and almost fell out in shock that they were turning these bags into expensive fashion.

They are definitely durable and can hold almost anything, but I don’t see them being rocked in the streets of sophisticated places (unless done so by a Naija).

Luggage Online
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:59 am

Buy luggage Online in affordable price at rpkluggageonline.com. They purchase a great prices and discounted in all travel luggage and accessories. They have the bestselling brands of luggage. One of the Best brands is the Abbi New York. Abbi New York is premier laptop bag for women that can carried by a woman with style and confidence. Abbi bags feature striking colors, patterns and chic designs which can bring the woman as intelligent, savvy, successful and fashionable. Abbi laptop bags is from a best quality materials and incredibly well made.

Uche Mba
Oct 24, 2009 at 12:23 am

wow, i can’t believe they have a LV bag LMAO!!

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:38 am

i saw Marc Jacob’s version, and was like….”Damn!”

Ghana must go all the way

Gbelepawo
Jul 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I hate that Nigeria treated the Ghanaians the way we did back then, but I love my GMGs, when my hubby was moving to the US ten years ago, he had to pack his collection of technical books in a GMG. Whenver my MIL visits, she brings stuff in GMG, now I run a business where I ship stuff to Naija, and you guessed right, my choice of packaging is the GMG, ever strong, ever reliable and very cheap. I have a stack of them in my garage. Long live GMG!

Copyright © 2017 Stuff Nigerian People Like All rights reserved. Theme by Keayo. 51318617 hits since 8/27/09 5 p.m.