Pointing with their lips

Posted by keayo on Sep 15, 2009 in Naija |
When there isn't enough time to use your fingers, just poke out your lips to point.

People tend to point at things with their fingers, I mean, it only makes sense. However, Nigerians have created their own way of pointing. It is well known that many Nigerians have been blessed with full, plump lips. However, who would have thought that these pepper soup coolers could be used to POINT??? If you are Nigerian, you have probably witnessed your parents, aunties, uncles, etc. use their lips to point to something. That “something”, which they may refer to as “dis tin‘” is probably within their arms reach, but that’s another story.

Check out the accuracy...

Check out the accuracy... "pepper soup coolers"

A Nigerian father who wants a pen on the desk may turn his head towards the desk, say “get me dat dis tin,” and poke out his lips towards the pen. You think it would be simple enough to just say “get me the pen,” but Nigerians are efficient people. Why waste energy using your voice or silly fingers, when God has blessed our people with ample lips to do the job!

To naija people, definition of a noun na anything wey you fit point with your lips. With these big kine lips wey naija people get, we fit use am point any direction. We fit even use am point from dallas to houston.

Tags: , , , ,

Fisayo
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:31 am

LMFAO!!!!! This is so funny and do true. “O wa ni be yen” **points lips**

liz Reply:

lmao! “ni be?? mi o ri!”

t a
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:59 am

my parents have recently disassociated themselves with this barbaric method of pointing to objects… ” this is not 2ky (…y2k) it is the year 2009″ …well put mom and dad..well put

Okey Reply:

Who the hell you calling barbaric, you Ignoramus?? Its supposed to be a Naija pride article, something that makes is unique. Yes it’s different, but I like different and I’ll let people know that anytime!
I bet ur parents are one of those ones that also banned their kids from speaking any Nigerian language in the house, considering it “barbaric language.”

t a Reply:

i wasnt calling anyone barbaric.. ignoramus okey.. i just said that i dont remember my parents using their lips to point out stuff. and yes..my parents wanted us to only speak english because we were getting yoruba and english mixed up in school and getting ridiculed for it. we grew up in an all white society that didnt speak yoruba but that doesnt mean i cant appreciate my culture. it was more of a functional thing. and as all normal functioning humans do, we tend to assimilate to the culture we are currently in. im sure there are many things that u and ur parents do here that they wouldnt think of doing in nigeria or things that they dont do here that they used to do in nigeria. if not..then u, my ignoramus friend, are truly barbaric.

chinenye Reply:

t a, biko wot is ya name?

OmoNaija Reply:

t a,

You mean you really couldn’t learn 2 languages without getting them confused in schools? That’s pretty bad. I mean lots of children are bilingual and some would argue are intellectually superior for it. I think your comments above may be evident of your deficit.

keayo
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:06 am

Le Kwa La! “Look At!” can be followed by a lip point.

Emechanism
Sep 15, 2009 at 3:17 am

HAHA……so true….LMAO…only we know of this….anyone else would think we’re blowing kisses..lol

Carol
Sep 15, 2009 at 4:16 am

This is soo funny and so true.

Lulu
Sep 15, 2009 at 8:34 am

LMAO. Oh God. I do this too sometimes… most of the time… LOL and it really is when I’m too lazy to point XD Loooooove the pictures, though XDD

Uche
Sep 15, 2009 at 9:46 am

This is absolutely HILARIOUS!!! And too true!!! Especially about the “dis tin” being withing arms reach!!! LOL!

Uju4eva
Sep 15, 2009 at 9:55 am

HAHAHAHA!. My mom did that the other day in the kitchen!!

Maggie
Sep 15, 2009 at 10:31 am

Good to know! That way I won’t think someone’s puckering their lips just for me! 😉 hehehe…

a.eye
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:59 pm

So funny and oh so true. I can’t count how many times some adult did this to me so I could pick up something that was not just within arms reach, but with in their fingers reach. A-ah!! I guess they are just exercising the lips to keep them plump and firm so they don’t thin out.

chinenye
Sep 15, 2009 at 6:50 pm

haha have you all ever been with ur parents at like a meeting, or church, or a convention/party and ur parents point *with their lips* at something for you to hurry up and get for them, but u don’tk now WHAT IN THE WORLD it is they want? hahaha

Was at a convention, and dad and mom were seated at the high table. dad was about to either get awarded something, recognized for something, or given the mike to speak about something. me and my sibling of course new NONE of this. i had been playin around with little sis when i hear sssssss. ssss. i look up and my dad is half glaring at me. thinking its cuz we weren’t paying attention, we quickly sit still and appear attentive. the glare continues. this time with the slightly pursed lips/kissy face..i think he’s pointing at something, but trying to be inconspicuous…? I still sit there dumfounded pretending to be a good alert child and pay attention–confused at why my dad is still looking at/glaring at me.

At the point that his lips became “peppay cooler”/BLATENTLY obviously pointing/directing me to SOMETHING, i realize he’s demanding me to fetch him something. i jump up and immediately run to his carved cane. thinking he always wants this/has it by his side. he half hisses/gives me the death glare. ok. guess not. I run and grab his chieftancy fan and hold it up. death glare. and blinking of eyes which seem to be evily piercing through/trying to slap me. I go for something simple/obvious i though and raise up a pen. then he just looks away infuriated, as if i disgust him. i wanted to just be like whatever and sit down. but i could already feel the slap when we got home. so i ran around looking like a fool quickly grabbing stuff and trying to discretely hold it up to him. he gives me one last death look. brings our the biggest peppay cooler lips and bug glaring eyes, does one last thrust in my direction/at somthing i still have no idea what, and then turns and walks to the mike to give a speech or something at the party.

In the end i found out he wanted me to get his camera, which was under the table, under under the fan, under several bags, and hidden in my mom’s purse. of course I got beat later on that night for not listening to him/grasping what he had wanted me to get. “foolish child. idddiot. when oda (other) children ah paying attention and snapping fhotos of their parents u just dey sit their like a dommie. whot is in ya head? nonsense child *kissing of teeth* okwa gi.”

Uche Mba Reply:

hahahaha! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.A. Reply:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

keayo Reply:

Wow….He needs to work on his lip pointing accuracy. Also, this is a NIGERIAN dad, so you need to work on your Mind Reading Skills.

Sandrita Reply:

Yes! Yes! Yes! You guys should sooooooooooo do one on Mind Reading Skills and being able to know exactly what your parent is thinking at every second because a well trained child with common sense should just be able to look at her mother’s eyes and know exactly what she is thinking. Oh yea and also one on how our parents were perfect angels when they were growing up and never gave their parents any trouble “just ask my father” they’d say but sadly, more often than not, the parent needed for verification has been many years dead…. Hmmm. Loooooooooooooooove this! Keep it up guys :)

Karen Reply:

ahahahahahaha!!! … just shambles…

Rixon Reply:

ROTFLMAO!!!

Kim Reply:

lol!

B Reply:

Too funny, sorry for the beat down. I think it is an ethnic thing because a lot of people do it. Some Native Indians in Canada do this as well.

Lulu Reply:

LMAO. My dad is like that. And he gets so easily annoyed when I don’t know what he’s talking about XDD

Adaeze Reply:

ROFL!!! Tears of laughter right now! The ‘children paying attention’ part is totally what my dad would say!

Lekworuchukwu Uzendu
Sep 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm

LOL wow!!!! too many memories just rushed back…
i never really understood it enough to able to lip point ima start practicing now

Krystal O.
Sep 16, 2009 at 11:42 pm

LMAAAAAAOOO chinenye!!!!!!!

Kim
Sep 17, 2009 at 4:29 pm

“we fin even use am to point from dallas to houston!” LOLOLOL

yall crazy!

gladys
Sep 18, 2009 at 12:49 am

yeah….i am kenyan so for us pointing with our lips is not all that crucial…instead we use all five fingers to point..as if we are doing the “hail hitler” stance…only time we use our lips to point is when both hands have objects in them or our hands are just preoccupied.

iMakeHimSweat
Sep 20, 2009 at 10:45 am

lol @ We fit even use am point from dallas to houston.

Chimchim
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:31 pm

This be no small ting oooooo!!!! I’m in the library and I’m trying so hard not to just burst out laughing instead I am crying and people are looking at me like “Is she okay?”

Dis tin meant any and everything and if I did not get it fast enough, there will be heck to pay!

All Naija people are the same, awww the memories!

MysterysVirtue
Sep 23, 2009 at 1:07 am

Too funny. Growing up Black in America, we use our heads to point (we’ll I do).

UgoBabe1 of Ala Ngwa Nmara Nma
Sep 24, 2009 at 2:08 am

Buhahahahhahaaaaaaa……una don come again!

how about in addition to the pointing…if you couldnt find what they wanted you to get..it would be followed by them calling you moo…..and then them pointing their hand in the same direction -you still can’t find what they wanted you to get :(

UgoBabe1 of Ala Ngwa Nmara Nma
Sep 24, 2009 at 2:10 am

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL @ Chinenye!!!!!!!!!!!

lol @ keayo and mind reading skills

Rhet
Sep 30, 2009 at 7:13 am

Would it be considered rude to Nigerians if I steal this technique? I usually point with my eyes, but this seems far more emphatic and effective -_-

Chuboy
Oct 17, 2009 at 7:49 am

say, Nigerian people are messy in that sense…when someone walks in that’s the talk of all town, eye balls get your attention then the top lip points to the left followed by ‘onyoshi (thief)’…or any other negaitive comment…I jus sit and laugh…

Sandrita
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Oh yeah, saying ‘dis tin’ or ‘dat tin’ for every noun in the dictionary. Or even making you come all the way downstairs to hand them a phone that’s ringing right next to them…. Yurp, that’s a Naija parent for you lmbo!

Nan
Nov 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm

hahaha… lip pointing never caught on with me. Only because I’d burst out laughing before my lips formed by the very thought of it. But hubby does it from time to time and I rip him to shreds for it. But true to his naijaness, he persists. It’s cute though, you gotta admire a man that can point with his lips

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:27 am

i must confess…

the lip action thingy always has me laffing anything i see it in poetic motion

isha
Dec 3, 2009 at 6:03 am

This is hilarious!!! I laugh EVERY time i hear about it, or see it done. It’s just hilarious.

First time here. Me likey!

lechatnoir
Aug 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

my.. my… lol! wait this isn’t unique to Naija though . I have friends from the entire blackspora even in the west indies . They too are doing the lip-pointing thing. But this is a female thing. They only point those things with their mouth because they CAN’T use their finger at specific moment ( they are talking about this one person who happens to be in the same room ).

olderwhiteamericangf(aka gonagetmedisowned)
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:14 am

LOL!!! This is too funny. I looked at my boyfriend like he was crazy the first few times I saw him do this. I’m used to it now.

Copyright © 2017 Stuff Nigerian People Like All rights reserved. Theme by Keayo. 51334101 hits since 8/27/09 5 p.m.